• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]

Residency in Italy

Residency in Italy

Updated on Monday 18th April 2016

Rate this article

based on 1 reviews

Residency-in-ItalyThe legal requirements for living in Italy depend on the citizenship of the applicant. EU citizens are not required to apply for a visa when coming to Italy, while non-EU citizens must apply for a visa if they intend to stay in the country for over 90 days. In 2007, the Italian residency permit has been replaced by the declaration of presence. The declaration of presence is obtained by submitting an application with the police headquarters (Questura) eight days prior to the arrival in Italy.

Types of residence permits in Italy

According to the legislation, any individual staying in Italy for more than three months is considered a resident. Foreigners working in Italy, students enrolled for a full year in an university and those simply wishing to relocate to the country are considered residents. The types of Italian residence permits they can apply for are:

  • - the permit to stay (permesso di soggiorno) for non-EU citizens that has a five-years validity and can be renewed;
  • - the certificate of registration (certificato di residenza) for EU citizens intending to stay in Italy for more than three months,
  • - the EC long-term residence permit (permesso di soggiorno per soggiornanti di lungo periodo or  S.L.P) is issued for an indefinite period of time for those residing in Italy for more than five years and who earn at least the minimum wage.

Applying for the Italian long-term residence permit

The EC residence permit was enabled in 2007 and the main distinction between the old and the new Italian residence permit is that the EC permit is permanent. Non-EU citizens may apply for residency in Italy after legally living in Italy for over five years, while EU citizens may apply if intending to live in the country for over three months. The application must be submitted with the municipal office and must contain the following documents:

  • - copy of a valid passport,
  • - copy of the income tax statement,
  • Italian workers must also submit receipts after the INPS (National Social Welfare Institution) statement,
  • - a criminal record,
  • - residence and family certification,
  • - proof of paying the EC residence permit fee,
  • - a revenue stamp.

All documents must be translated into Italian by a certified translator and then legalized. Depending on the applicant’s nationality, other documents may be requested when applying for residency in Italy.

Our Italian lawyers may help you prepare all the documents when applying for residency. You can also contact us, if you want to set up a company in Italy.



There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.