• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]

Obtain Residency in Italy

Obtain Residency in Italy

Updated on Thursday 17th December 2015

Rate this article

based on 1 reviews


In case you are visiting Italy for an extended period of time, exceeding 90 days, you will need a Schengen Treaty/Tourist Visa. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada do not need a visa for entering Italy if they do not prolong their stay for more than the accepted three months (this is if their visit is for tourism or for doing business in Italy). It is however recommended that you ask for the help of a lawyer in Italy to guide you through the whole process of obtaining residency in Italy

Types of residency permits in Italy

A tourist becomes a resident when he/she plans on staying in Italy for more than 90 days. Residents need to obtain a certificate of registration or a permit. Foreigners who work in this country, students studying in Italy for a full academic year, seasonal workers or people who simply desire living on Italian territory, are seen as residents by the Italian authorities. There are three types of permits that you can apply for.
The permit to stay ("permesso di soggiorno") is required for non-EU citizens, is issued for five years of Italian residence (the duration of validity can vary) and can be renewable. The most commonly issued permits to stay are:
  • - "Permesso di soggiorno per turismo" - for tourists;
  • - "Permesso di soggiorno per coesione familiare" - for reuniting children of an Italian citizen with the foreign spouse;
  • - "Permesso di soggiorno per lavoro" - for working in Italy (work permit);
  • - "Permesso di soggiorno per studio" - for those who want to study in the country.
Our attorneys in Italy can provide you with further details on the types of residency permits and assist you with your application process.
The permanent residence card ("Permesso di soggiorno per soggiornati di lungo periodo") can be issued for persons who have been living in Italy for more than five years and want to apply for it. You must submit an application at the local Municipal office ("comune") or at the Post office.
There are some documents that you need to file as well, such as:
  • - copy of your valid passport;
  • - criminal records and pending charges (if any);
  • - copy of your income tax and evidence that you earn more than the social allowance;
  • - family certification and residence.
The registration certificate ("certificato di residenza") for EU citizens who wish to stay for longer than three months in the country.
Feel free to contact our law firm in Italy, as we have expertise in various legal matters and we can assist you and offer you more information on residency in Italy.


There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.